Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thursday notes

First of all, hope everybody's having a good Patriots Day! I only say that because it's September 11th, and ever since it was named Patriots Day, I never hear it called that. I guess it's just one of those things that never really panned out. It's just so much easier to say 9/11, seven years later.

There isn't much to report on tonight. Tomorrow, I will have a CMU-Ohio NCAA 09 prediction on here in the afternoon. Last week's prediction of 54-27 Georgia was pretty accurate, only missing by a total of 12 points. So we'll give it another shot. Also, expect coverage Saturday from Ohio - hopefully I will have photos up here, as well as pregame, halftime and postgame notes from Athens, Ohio. 

Some other notes...

  • We're about two days away from the MAC opener at Ohio, and sadly, the only thing most people continue to talk about is Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno's hurdle against CMU. Maybe this is wrong coming from a CMU football writer, but, really, we get it. It was a great play and deserves plenty of repeated views. YouTube definitely got a hit out of it. But can we move on, please? People, including coach Mark Richt, are still upset it didn't make a SportsCenter highlight reel Saturday or Sunday night - I didn't realize people cared that much about what makes or doesn't make SportsCenter highlight reels! What really aggravates me, though, is when announcers see a diving catch in baseball or a sweet slam dunk in basketball, and say right after, "We're going to see that on SportsCenter later!" ... or even when somebody brings a sign to a game, saying "SportsCenter is Next!" hoping they make the intro reel. Really? 
  • Speaking of ESPN's snub of the hurdle, here's what Jim Rome, from ESPN's "Rome Is Burning," had to say about it: "Or maybe, we did do our homework and decide that the dude your superstar jumped over plays for the Central Michigan Chippewas, so we just kept moving." Amazing what two consecutive conference championships still cannot get you: Respect. Besides, does the opponent really make a difference? I'm no anatomy major, but I doubt Vince Agnew is that much different from any other SEC defensive back. I stick by my current stance of the play: While it's not the most amazing thing I've seen in sports, even in person, it was still a great play, and we'll leave it at that. Let's move on to this week.
  • We go from Athens to Athens this week. No better way to follow up your longest drive of the season with the 2nd longest drive, right? According to MapQuest, it's about 7 hours, 20 minutes from Mount Pleasant to Athens, Ohio. The drive from Mount Pleasant to Bloomington, Ind., may be just as long, too, but at least that's later in the year. 
  • I know what'd be a good idea for the next road trip is to include some "hot stops" - you know, good places to stop and have a bite, or maybe sights to see around the area. But let's be honest - most of our trips are through southern Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, and there really is nothing to see in those states. Even if there was something to see, the only free time I have nowadays is the time I have in my car in between work and class, so, you get the picture.
  • Five random predictions for Saturday: Receiver Bryan Anderson will catch for more than 100 yards. Defensive end Frank Zombo will tally another 2.5 sacks. Kicker Andrew Aguila will miss his first field goal of the season. Ohio quarterback Boo Jackson will give CMU its first interception. More than 20,000 people will show up at Peden Stadium, which would be more than the season-opener at Kelly-Shorts Stadium. (Even though it was against Eastern Illinois) Now let's see how many of those are right.
  • Thanks to those who read my NCAA Football 09 pieces from yesterday's paper, considering that I had about four or five people message me on Xbox Live, some even sending friend requests. If you messaged me, sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, I'll try to do that over the next 24 hours. Obviously I'm not online all that often since I have work and school to worry about! 
  • Remember to e-mail me at bmanzullo@cm-life.com if you have any comment, suggestions, requests, ideas, etc.! 
I will see you guys tomorrow and throughout the weekend as we prep for the MAC opener!

No comments: